With winter in the air, use these four chair exercises recommended by our staff at The Connection at Twin Towers to keep you moving all season long.
Chair exercises are perfect for the indoors and easy to do. Watch the video, and get step-by-step instructions below.
Stay Fit While You Sit
Chair Exercise Instructions
Slide 1: Tricep Press
- Place both hands on the arms of the chair
- Push yourself up using your arms while you exhale
- Slowly lower yourself down to the chair as you exhale
Repeat 10-15 times.
Expert Tip: Keep fingers pointed forward and elbows pointing straight back.
Slide 2: Abdominal Tuck
- Lift right knee to chest, contracting abdominal muscles, as you exhale
- Slowly lower your right leg, as you inhale.
- On next exhale, lift left knee to chest, contracting abdominal muscles.
- As you inhale, slowly lower left leg.
Repeat the exercise on each leg 10-15 times.
Expert Tip: Remember to breathe. It is common for people to hold their breath during core exercises.
Slide 3: Chair Stand
- Place arms across the chest.
- As you exhale, come to standing position and squeeze the buttocks. Once standing, raise your head looking forward and pull the shoulders down and back.
- As you inhale, slowly lower yourself back down to sitting.
Repeat exercise 10-15 times.
Expert Tip: Use the arms of the chairs to assist you in standing.
Slide 4: Hamstring Stretch
- Extend right leg in front while keeping heel on the floor.
- Place hands together on lap, take a deep breathe in, and as you exhale, reach your hands toward your feet.
- Hold the stretch for 20-30 seconds while breathing steadily.
- As you inhale, slowly come back up.
Repeat the stretch 2-3 times
Expert Tip: Continue reaching down to your toes until you feel a good pull in the muscle. If you feel sharp pain, then back off slightly.
Feeling good inside and out is the cornerstone of life at Twin Towers Senior Living Community in Cincinnati.