Senior living communities continue to evolve as Baby Boomers move into their retirement years. There are endless options in terms of accommodations, amenities, services and lifestyles. So how do you determine the best fit for you?
Most retirees don’t make a decision like this overnight. They’ll explore the options available in their area, tour multiple communities and consult family and financial professionals to make sure they are considering all of the long term benefits.
It’s important to tour communities you are interested in to find the living option that best fits your lifestyle. Here’s what to look for to help you make your decision:
Retirement Community Checklist
For a printable version of this checklist click here.
Physical Space & Accommodations
- Does the Community offer accommodations that are attractive to you?
- Does the accommodation include appliances?
- Are all utilities (electricity, water, telephone, television, heating, air conditioning) included in your monthly fee?
- Are you able to make aesthetic changes to the home to fit your personal style?
- Do you have any private outdoor space, such as a balcony or patio?
- Does the accommodation include a garage or designated parking space?
- Does the community keep the grounds landscaped and well maintained?
- Are there walking paths, parks or common areas available to enjoy?
- Are there restrictions for visitors or guests?
- Are pets welcome in the accommodations?
- Is there an emergency call system in your residence?
- Does the Community provide 24-hour security?
- Are there community rooms that can be used for family gatherings?
Services & Amenities
- When you visited were you invited to talk to residents and staff?
- What are the meal and dining policies, hours, number of meals, and what type of meal services are available?
- Does the Community have access to an exercise area and indoor pool at no additional charge?
- Is the Community in a convenient location near family, friends, churches, stores and hospitals?
- Is building maintenance, lawn care and home repair included in your fee?
- Are there transportation services offered?
- Is there a calendar of events available?
- Are there religious services to attend, volunteer opportunities to engage in or committees and groups of interest to you?
- Is there a relationship between the community itself and the neighborhood in which it is located through partnerships or other initiatives?
- Are there cultural or inter-generational opportunities to explore?
- Is there a ‘new resident’ program in place to assist with becoming acquainted with the community?
- Who owns or manages the community? Is it for profit or not-for-profit?
- Does the Community have a financially secure sponsor?
- How long has the community been open?
- What is the community’s mission statement or operating philosophy?
- What kinds of contracts are offered?
- Is any portion of the entrance fee refundable?
- Are their future projects or initiatives planned for the community that will add value to the community or your cost?
Health Care Now & In The Future
- If health care services are needed, does a resident have priority access to such?
- Is there a clinic or nurse available for questions or simple services?
- Does the Community offer assisted living and skilled nursing care?
- Do your fees increase as you need more care?
- Does the Community offer a secure special care residence for those with memory impairment?
- Is there pastoral care or support groups available to residents
Take this checklist with you when you tour. Click here for a printable version.
Twin Towers is a continuing care senior living community with independent living that includes neighborhood homes and apartment home neighborhoods. To schedule a visit and get more information, call Twin Towers at 513-853-2000 or fill out our online form here.