What’s for dinner tonight? In the mood for Italian Chicken Puttanesca? How does a nice cut of Filet Mignon with a side of freshly grilled asparagus sound? Or maybe eggs and bacon will hit the spot with a Quiche Lorraine? Restaurant-inspired dining is the latest trend for senior living communities. Baby Boomers have spoken up, saying they want choices, quality and an experience when dining.
Great food. Great company. And no hassle. Bon appetite!
(Keep reading to get a Twin Lakes sample menu below!)
Baby Boomers and Food
When it comes to food, you have specific expectations you’re bringing with you into retirement and senior living.
You’ve witnessed the evolution of the restaurant industry and felt the growing importance of a healthy lifestyle. Your dining choices have ranged from convenient, fast food and trendy sandwich shops to upscale gourmet meals, international experiences and a myriad of others.
How you dine and the choices you have are important to you. This is why senior living communities have upped their game by adding gourmet chefs, more menu choices, fresh local selections, bistros, and more.
Dining should be an experience that supports your independence, healthy lifestyle and desire for social engagement. Make every day feel like a gourmet meal. That’s what you’ve worked for!
6 Dining Questions to Ask When Touring a Senior Living
- Do you offer multiple entrees? Ask to see a sample menu. Find out how often menu items change and how food options are selected. It’s important to vary the food you eat for optimal nutritional value and to avoid turning to unhealthy options.
- Are residents involved in selecting food? At Twin Lakes, our residents are highly engaged in what’s on the menu. They provide suggestions and feedback on what they like and what they didn’t like.
- Do you cater to specialized diets, such as gluten-free? Find out if meals and dining options exist for specialized diets. Whether you need or prefer sugar-free, low-sodium or gluten-free, can you request and easily get these options.
- What’s the social atmosphere of the dining venues? Food is more than just nourishment. Food should be fun! At Twin Lakes, we have restaurant-style dining where there’s lots of mingling and socialization occurring, while our bistro has a more casual feel with lighter fare. We often have food-themed events and parties too, such as summer cook-outs or a Mardi Gras Fat Tuesday feast.
- Do you have flexible dining options? Check out the various dining plans to see what flexibility you have. Plans can vary from a specific number of meals per month to an a-la-carte system with flex dollars. Also, some may have specific dining hours while others may be open throughout the day and even deliver to your home or apartment. Look for options that meet what you like when enjoying a meal.
- Can I schedule a meal as part of my tour? The best way to know if you are going to like the food is to taste and see! As you talk with a community representative, ask about having a meal in one of the dining venues.
See What Dining is Like at Twin Lakes Senior Living
At Twin Lakes, we have two styles of dining. Our restaurant-style dining features a changing menu that includes eleven entrees and chef specialties. Our bistro has a more casual feel with made-to-order sandwiches and lighter fare. Watch the video to check it out...
3 Things to Look for in Food & Dining at a Senior
- A true restaurant experience. Are residents seated, provided with menus and able to place their orders with a server? Many are now set up like 5-star fine dining establishments with linen tablecloths and napkins.
Heart-healthy choices. Eating well-balanced meals as you age helps you maintain a healthy weight, stay energized and get the nutrients you need. It also lowers your risk of developing chronic health conditions, such as heart disease and diabetes.
Variety and taste. Check out the menu and find out how often the food selection changes. Ask questions about the chef and his specialties. Just like your favorite restaurant may be known for a certain dish, many communities have chef features, and resident favorites. This can give you an idea about the variety of the meals.
Check Out a Twin Lakes Menu:
At Twin Lakes senior living community, we offer a wealth of services exclusively for our residents. Whether you want restaurant-style dining venues, housekeeping or access to our fitness center, our top priority is making your life easier and more enjoyable. Find out more about Twin Lakes by contacting us today! Call 513-247-1300.