Whether you’re venturing stateside or journeying afar, use these tips to easily maintain your fitness and healthy lifestyle while traveling.
4 Tips to Staying Healthy While Traveling
Stretching while traveling is important to keep the blood circulating and to help muscle fatigue and cramping.
When Traveling By Car
- Take advantage of rest areas to breath in the fresh air.
- Walk the paths or the parking lot and stretch out your legs, back and arms.
- Store belongings in the overhead compartment for more leg room.
- Choose an aisle seat preferably in the first row behind an emergency exit for even more legroom.
- Do seated stretches least once an hour.
- On long flights, set a goal to get up and walk up and down the aisles every hour.
- Stretch your arms, neck and legs in the space near the restrooms.
2. Eat Safely
- In foreign places or whenever in doubt, opt for filtered/bottled water to ensure safe drinking water.
- Condiments from sealed packages are safer than those exposed to the environment.
- Aim to eat familiar foods at least one meal during the day for easier digestion.
- Check out restaurant reviews online and consider translating the menu before placing your order.
- Take supplements and vitamins to maintain balanced nutrition intake.
3. Don’t Skip Exercise
- Take advantage of the hotel gym.
- Pack comfortable walking shoes for sightseeing.
- Choose to walk when you can and use sightseeing as a means to increase cardio.
- Use a pedometer or your phone to track your steps each day.
4. Get Some Sleep
- Time zone differences may jumble your sleep schedule. Try to get into a routine in the first 24 hours.
- Bring as much of your home environment with you as possible. For example, if you sleep with a soft pillow and fan, either bring those or purchase them when you arrive.
- Stop eating 12-16 hours before you want to wake up. This will trigger your body to prepare for the night cycle.
- Try to gradually adjust your sleep time before the first day of travel.
- Go on a walk each morning to jump start the day.
- To help you decompress after a day of sightseeing, try some breathing exercises before bed.
Relax and Recharge
It may seem obvious that you will relax and take a break on vacation but scheduling too many tours and destinations can be the exact opposite and very stressful. Plan no more than 1 or 2 tours in a day and leave time each day for random adventures.