By Joan Reiniger, RN, Twin Lakes Clinic Nurse
Assisted living is designed to offer the comfort of a private residence with the convenience of onsite amenities.
While services will vary across communities, you can usually expect assistance with bathing, dressing, meals and household tasks.
Support is tailored to each individual's needs, with a focus on maintaining as much independence for the resident as possible.
3 Benefits of an Assisted Living Residence
One of the most common reasons that someone may seek an Assisted Living environment is that they are in need of assistance with activities of daily living (ADLs).
- Personal care services such as bathing and dressing ease the burden of performing those tasks that may have become increasingly more difficult.
- With less concern about the time and energy it would normally take to provide their own self-care, a resident can pursue interests and spend more time with family and friends.
- Having a nurse available to manage your medications, assist with monitoring changes in your health and communicate with your physicians, allows for more continuity in your care.
- From low thresholds to intelligently designed bathrooms, the home is designed with aging in mind. Homes are adapted to provide a safe and secure environment for a resident and their needs, even as they change.
Joan’s Tips: When looking into Assisted Living facilities ask for a full list of services offered and any additional costs that can be incurred. If you have long-term care insurance it is also recommended that you inquire about how benefits may be applied. Ask if there is a physician that provides on-site visits.
An assisted living environment provides residents with a simplified lifestyle and freedom from home maintenance.
When looking at possible options, ask if the community offers any of the following:
- Laundry and Housekeeping Services
- Transportation Services or Shopping Shuttles
- A Calendar of Events
- Variety of Dining Options
- Excursions or Day Trips
- Salon Services
- Spaces for Hosting Private Events
Joan’s Tips: In addition to asking about costs for these conveniences, inquire about hours of operation. For example how often and when are shopping trips planned? When is the salon open and how do you make an appointment? Ask about the availability of health services that can be received on campus, which may prevent unnecessary visits to the doctor’s office or hospital.
Assisted living communities offer robust programming opportunities and social events to enrich the lives of residents.
Events and Programs
Generally staffed with an associate dedicated to providing a variety of experiences that accommodate a resident’s needs and can be enjoyed year round. From clubs to art programs, music and excursions, a resident can choose what to participate in and when.
One of the simplest social opportunities offered is centered around something done 3 times a day - eating! Meals are often served in restaurant-style dining rooms and can be enjoyed with friends and neighbors. Not only does this foster relationships among residents, but it also eliminates the burden of daily meal preparation.
Joan’s Tips: Ask to see a calendar of events on campus but also look at the opportunities in the local community. Request a dining menu to get a sense of what meals are offered.
Twin Lakes is a continuing care retirement community in Montgomery, Ohio that offers Independent Living, Assisted Living, Skilled Nursing Care, Memory Support Services, and both Inpatient and Outpatient Rehabilitative Services. If you would like a tour of Twin Lakes contact us at 513-247-1300 or click here to reach us online.